Yangon, the former capital city of Myanmar and the capital of Yangon Region, is the gateway into Myanmar. Evergreen with lush tropical trees, shady parks and beautiful lakes. It has earned the name of “The Garden City of the East”. It is the largest city with a population of over six millions and located in the southern part of the country on the east (left) bank of the Yangon, or Hlaing River (eastern mouth of the Irrawaddy River), 25 miles (40 km) north of the Gulf of Martaban of the Andaman Sea. It is the industrial and commercial centre of the country.
It was founded by King Alaungpaya on the site of a small settlement called Dagon when he conquered lower Myanmar in 1755. The name Yangon means “End of Strife” which was anglicized to Rangoon after the British annexed Myanmar in 1885. The present day Yangon still remains its colonial charm and gracious turn of the century architecture. The SHWEDAGON PAGODA, the most sacred Buddhist pagoda in Myanmar, is the soul of Yangon. The other interesting places are CHAUK HTAT KYI, the colossal reclining Buddha image; KARAWEIK HALL & ROYAL LAKE, SULE PAGODA, BOTATAUNG PAGODA, COLONIAL STYLE BUILDINGS and BOGYOKE MARKET(Scott Market)..
The other interesting places are KAN BAW ZA THA DI palace, excavated and rebuilt the same as the original one; SNAKE GUARDED PAGODA, KYAIK PUN PAGODA, 4 seated Buddha images; SHWEGUGALE PAGODA with 64 seated Buddha images; MAHAZEDI PAGODA, HIN THA GONE, a hill top shrine guarded by mythical birds; MON YWA, famous for it’s weaving and cheroot making, clay Pottery and Bago Market.
Thanlyin, formerly known as SYRIAM, is a home to the largest port (Thilawa) in Myanmar. It is located on the bank of Yangon River. Before 1989, it was major port and trade center for the Portuguese trade representative De Britto in the late 1750. It is located about 22 km /1.5 hr from Yangon and can be reached by bus. Thanlyin Township comprises 17 quarters and 28 village tracts.
KYAIK KHAUKPagoda, similar to SHWEDAGON PAGODA, built on a hillock named HlaingPoteKone and YELE PHAYAat Kyauktan, the Pagoda in mid-stream on a laterite reef, also known as KYAIK MHAW WON PAGODA are famous.
Dhalatownship is located on the southern bank of Yangon river. It can be reached by short ferry ride from Yangon (about 15 mins). The township, consisted of 23 wards, is bounded by the Yangon river in the north and east, the Twante Canal in the west, and Twante Township in the south. Despite its strategic location across downtown Yangon, the township is still largely rural and undeveloped mainly due to the lack of bridge across the Yangon river to downtown. Taking trishaw around the labyrinthine warren of alleys and streets makes Dhala worth visiting. It will be a great pleasure to enjoy local lives of Myanmar people up close.